Thanks for stopping by today as we discuss how you can be absolutely happy TODAY! There is no magic potion, but there are a few steps that might help!
Now, I am going to start this off by telling you that there is not magic pill or potion that will make you truly happy. But today we will be discussing some ways that you can be absolutely happy today!
We will start off this post with something that will push most people away, and that is being happy is work! Wait, wait! Please don’t go! Let me explain! To be joyful, to feel at peace, to love… any of these feelings (notice I said FEELINGS) takes work. There are some feelings that take no work at all, but those are NOT the ones you want- to be mad, sad, or disconnected.
Our minds are an intricate thing. They DO feel some things like happiness without having to work at it. Example- if someone surprises you with something they know you love- ice cream, a night out, flowers, a new necklace, free babysitting, etc… But these are short lived bursts because of something that happened.
In order to be truly happy, day in and day out, you have to train your brain each and every day.
So, how can we be absolutely happy today and every day after that? Keep reading!
Steps you can do to be absolutely happy today:
- Take care of your body. Eat right. Exercise. Get enough sleep. Drink enough water. These are all absolutely necessary for you to have the foundation set for a joyful, happy attitude. If you don’t feel well, you know you will not be a positive as you could be. When something hurts, our minds tend to react in a more negative way towards things that they would otherwise be happy about.
- Before you get out of bed each morning, pray about the day ahead. Ever hear of that slogan that says, be the kind of woman that when her feet hits the floor in the morning, the devil says “oh crap, she’s awake”? Setting your mind right before you even get out of bed is a big game changer. And praying will hopefully help in leading you in more productive, positive directions throughout the day.
- 1 Negative, 2 Positives. For every negative thought you have or say, think of 2 positives to go with that. Caught in traffic? Stupid traffic, I hate traffic… Maybe you were supposed to have more time in the car to talk to the person that is with you, or more time to pray. Also, maybe you just avoided a wreck or maybe you just needed more time to stop and enjoy the sunshine or maybe the rain will let us by the time you get to your location. How about if your show-off neighbor gets a new Corvette? You can already thing of so many negatives in this, but how about the positives? That is a pretty car. Well, good for him, it’s beautiful. Or I hope he finds some joy in that car each day (because do you REALLY know his life?). Then after a while, hopefully replacing the negative with a positive will come a little more naturally to you.
- Hand out more compliments and smiles. For some people, we know that a smile or a compliment just rolls off of their tongues. So why don’t we try that? At the grocery store, compliment at least one or two people that you see. Smile at at least 5. You might be surprised at how good it makes you feel to turn someone ELSE’S day around!
- Journal. Write down each day the things you are thankful for. Write down WHO you are thankful for. This is not just an exercise for Facebook when Thanksgiving rolls around. Journal about things that make you happy. An upcoming trip. A visit from a friend. A great sale on a shirt you’ve been eyeing. If you have anything that isn’t positive in your journal, make sure to make it a prayer. Ex-I can’t stand my co-worker. Help me to be more patient with them. Help me to at least be able to work well with them. Maybe I should get to know them more? I don’t really know what her home situation is like…
- Hang out with other happy people. I know so many great people that can get negative really fast because they tend to hang out with negative people. I know when I am around a complainer or just a really negative person, I start to feel a little. more negative myself. Reevaluate your “friends” and see if you really need their influence in your life. Find a group of people or a person that makes you become a better person! You know the kind! They make you feel special. They ask you questions about your family. And they talk about how good life is.
- When the negative comes, keep your head up. When bad things happen in. life, and they WILL happen, how do you react? Of course you will be sad, mad, etc but then what you KEEP doing with that is the key. Do you stay in that hole? Do you dig a deeper hole and invite friends? Or do you turn it around, knowing that there are no coincidences. Why did this happen? Maybe you were being protected from something. Turn around all of those bad days, and try to make it positive again. Yesterday for me was a bad day. I did a lot of praying. I also took a small nap. When I woke up, I decided to turn my day around. There was nothing I could do with what had happened earlier, so why would I keep beating myself up about it. I could do nothing but pick myself up and walk FORWARD.
Hopefully you enjoyed and learned something from this article how to be absolutely happy today. Like I said, it is WORK. It is not easy. And I know there are a lot of factors that go into each one of our days. So this isn’t the end all be all of how to be happy. But it is a good start.
Do you have a suggestion of what to add to this list? Please share in the comments! I’d love to hear it!
And until next time, have an amazing and happy day! You’ve got this!!!